Close Menu
Home > Blog > Car Accident > Who Pays For My Medical Bills After A Car Accident In Washington?

Who Pays For My Medical Bills After A Car Accident In Washington?


If you have been in a car accident, one of your main concerns is likely how to pay for the medical bills associated with it. In Washington, there are certain rules and regulations that dictate who pays these bills. Understanding these regulations can be helpful if you find yourself in this situation.

Consider contacting a knowledgeable attorney if you have been injured in a car accident and need help identifying the right source of compensation for your medical bills. Our Seattle car accident lawyers at Emerald Law Group can help you understand your compensation options following the crash and hold the at-fault party responsible for your damages and losses.

Options to Pay Your Medical Bills After a Car Accident

Who pays my medical bills after a car accident?  Can I just send my bills to the person who caused the accident?

Generally speaking, no.  In the short term, you will need to find a way to get your medical bills paid.  That’s usually PIP coverage you’ve bought as part of your own automobile insurance policy, or your regular health insurance.

1. PIP Coverage

Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage is an important part of auto insurance policies in Washington. This type of coverage provides injured individuals with most or all of their medical bills without consideration of fault. This means that regardless of who is found to be at fault for the accident, PIP will cover the injured individual’s medical expenses up to the policy limits. The coverage can include doctor visits, hospital fees, ambulance trips, and other related expenses. However, unlike in other states, PIP coverage is optional in Washington.  If you are injured, you should check with your insurance to see if you have PIP coverage.  (And when buying insurance, you should always include it in your policy!)

  1. Health Insurance

If you don’t have PIP (or if you used up all your benefits), you can bill your regular health insurance for your accident-related medical bills.

So when do I make a claim against the person who caused the accident?

Once you’re done treating for your injuries, you can make a claim against the at-fault party for all your damages—medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, etc.  Even though your PIP insurance or regular medical insurance paid your bills, you can include those bills in your claim against the person who caused the accident.  But keep in mind that for both PIP and regular health insurance, you will need to pay them back from the proceeds of your car-accident claim.  When you get a settlement or award from the person who caused the accident, you will need to pay back your PIP insurer or health-care insurer some or all of what they paid for your medical bills.  You should speak with the attorneys at Emerald Law Group to find out how this works.

Discuss Your Compensation Options with Emerald Law Group

When involved in an auto accident in Washington, understanding who pays your medical bills is key information. Knowing these details could save you time and money when dealing with medical bill payments after a car accident. If you are not sure which option for compensation is available in your particular case, schedule a free consultation with our lawyers at Emerald Law Group. Call 206-826-5160 today.


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn