Can You Sue the City Of Seattle If You Trip And Fall On An Uneven Sidewalk?
If you get around the city of Seattle on foot, sidewalks most likely play a crucial role in your daily life. However, if you trip and fall on an uneven sidewalk, it can be a traumatic experience. It can also lead to significant financial costs, including medical expenses, and many unanswered questions.
If you tripped and fell on an uneven sidewalk, you may be wondering who is liable for your injuries and whether you can sue the city of Seattle for your injury. Our Seattle trip and fall lawyers at Emerald Law Group can answer these and other questions and help you fight for the compensation to which you may be entitled.
Who Is Liable for Injuries That Occur on Sidewalks?
If you trip and fall on an uneven sidewalk, you may wonder if you can hold the city responsible for your injury. In Seattle, the law states that the owners of the adjacent property are responsible for maintaining the sidewalk’s condition, according to the official city government site. If the city owns the land where the sidewalk is located, the city is responsible for maintaining the sidewalk’s condition.
Can You Sue the City of Seattle for Your Injury?
If you got injured yourself due to a negligent condition with the city-owned sidewalk, you might be able to file a claim against the city of Seattle to recover compensation. To file the claim, you have to show that the city failed to maintain the sidewalk or was negligent in repairs and caused your injury.
When you file a claim with the city, there are several things to consider:
- There are time limitations when filing a claim. You have a limited window of time to file a claim after your injury, so you need to act quickly;
- The claim must be in writing, explaining the incident, the damage or injury, and the cause; and
- You must be able to demonstrate medical bills, proof of loss of earnings, and other expenses incurred due to the injury.
Due to the complex nature of injury claims against the city, it is a good idea to hire a lawyer familiar with the local legal system to represent you.
What to Do if You Trip and Fall on an Uneven Sidewalk?
If you have tripped and fallen on an uneven sidewalk, follow these steps to protect your legal rights:
- Seek medical attention immediately to begin the treatment and document your injuries
- Take photos of the uneven condition that caused your fall, and document the area
- Talk to witnesses who saw what happened and write down their contact information
- File a report with both the property’s owner and the city
- Keep track of all expenses associated with the injury
- Consult with a lawyer experienced in sidewalk injury claims to assist you with your claim
Our experienced and results-driven lawyers at Emerald Law Group can help you file a claim against the city of Seattle and guide you through the legal process.
Consult with Our Lawyers at Emerald Law Group
If you trip and fall on an uneven sidewalk in Seattle, the city may be held responsible if it owns the land where the sidewalk is located. You can file a claim against the city for your injury and seek compensation. Our lawyers at Emerald Law Group can provide you with the guidance you need and explain your legal remedies after a trip and fall accident. Call 206-826-5160 to set up a free case evaluation.