Close Menu
Home > Blog > Apartment Rental Home > Can You Sue Your Landlord For Getting Hurt In A Rental Apartment?

Can You Sue Your Landlord For Getting Hurt In A Rental Apartment?


Being injured in a rental apartment can be a frustrating experience. There’s often confusion about who is liable for the injury and what steps should be taken. The first step to take when you are injured is to seek medical attention and then look into whether or not you can sue your landlord for damages.

Contact our Seattle apartment & rental home lawyer at Emerald Law Group to discuss your unique situation and determine your best legal recourse after getting hurt in a rental apartment.

Your Rights as a Tenant

When renting an apartment, it’s important to understand your rights as a tenant. Landlords have certain legal obligations to maintain the safety of their properties and ensure that all tenants are living in habitable environments. Washington law provides a detailed list of a landlord’s duties and obligations in RCW § 59.18.060. A landlord’s obligations include keeping common areas free of hazards and ensuring that all plumbing, electrical systems, and heating systems are functioning properly. If your landlord fails to uphold these obligations, and you suffer an injury as a result, they may be held liable for your damages and losses.

Thus, it is possible to sue your landlord if you get injured in one of their rental units. However, there are many factors that must be taken into consideration before doing so, such as understanding individual state laws regarding tenant rights and statutes of limitations on filing claims or lawsuits against landlords. If done correctly, successfully suing your landlord could help cover some of the costs associated with medical bills due to injuries suffered inside their rental property.

If there is a hazardous condition in your apartment or in the common areas of your apartment complex, you should report it right away, in writing.  This prevents others from getting injured, and prevents the landlord from later claiming that they didn’t know about the hazardous condition.

Consult with a Lawyer at Emerald Law Group Today

Before taking any legal action against your landlord after getting hurt in a rental apartment, it is imperative that you consult with an attorney who specializes in premises liability law in order to determine whether or not suing your landlord is worth pursuing financially and legally speaking, given your particular circumstances. Schedule a free case evaluation with our lawyers at Emerald Law Group to discuss your individual case. Call 206-826-5160 today.


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn